Mother Jones is looking for an ace Research Editor to lead our prestigious Ben Bagdikian Fellowship Program and ensure that our magazine and website are bullet-proof. You’ll be a backstop for Mother Jones investigations and will work with fellows, editors, reporters, and our legal team to produce reporting that is accurate and fair.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll recruit, train, and manage our editorial fellows, spearheading one of the best journalism training programs in the industry. You’ll be a mentor to extraordinary early-career reporters—former MoJo fellows have immediately gone on to work with dozens of top-tier publications and other news organizations—in everything from beat reporting to media law and public records investigations. And you’ll hold our newsroom to high standards, making tough calls on factual accuracy and journalistic ethics.
This is a full-time position and one that sometimes demands long and unpredictable hours, and requires a mix of diplomacy and rigor. But it promises an unmatched experience in return: loads of fascinating content, a range of online and print responsibilities, mentoring future stars, and limitless opportunities to contribute to a dynamic, award-winning, independent investigative news outlet.
This is a union position, and, as such, the terms of this job are covered under the collective bargaining agreement with Local 2103, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, AFL-CIO. This position is exempt and the salary is Depending on Experience starting at $60,000. Mother Jones has a great benefits package that includes paid health, dental, and vision, three weeks vacation in your first year (increasing to four in your second, and more thereafter), 12 sick days per year, 13 holidays, 2 personal days and your birthday off. While we are currently working remotely, this position has historically been based in our San Francisco office, and candidates should be open to relocating.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The successful candidate will have both an exceptional attention to detail and respect for facts, but will also have a knack for diplomacy and collaboration. This person will also be extremely well organized, able to multitask under time constraints with grace and accuracy, and accustomed to working for fast-paced publications both online and in print.
- Ensuring the highest standards of accuracy and fairness for all Mother Jones’ journalism.
- Assigning, scheduling, and coordinating fact-checking and research assignments.
- Vetting stories with our attorneys to ensure all legal concerns are addressed.
- Acting as a liaison between writers and fact-checkers, as well as between fact-checkers and story editors.
- Managing all aspects of the Ben Bagdikian Fellowship Program and ensuring Mother Jones recruits, trains, and mentors a highly qualified and diverse pool of fellowship applicants.
- Organizing reporting workshops and development opportunities for fellows.
- Maintaining research tools and archived digital and hard-copy fact-check files.
- Coordinating regularly with the editor-in-chief and the managing editor in matters related to fact-checking, research, and the Ben Bagdikian Fellowship Program.
- Research and writing projects as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- 3-5 years of journalism experience, with an emphasis on strong reporting chops
- Previous experience with fact-checking, ideally for a print publication
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, and able to handle deadline pressures
- Ability to be punctilious when necessary and to craft compromises that respect the integrity of a story
- Flexibility and willingness to work long hours when necessary
- Sound judgment
- Coaching/mentoring/teaching experience a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Only applications submitted to this Application Form will be considered for this recruiting round. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applicants for any given role, there may be delays in responding to every application submitted.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24.
What you’ll need for the application form:
- An updated resume
- A well-thought-out cover letter outlining why you are perfect for this job
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY DISCLOSURE
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, ancestry, marital status, union activity, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.