White House press secretary Robert Gibbs is a funny dude. In fact, Gibbs could be the funniest press secretary in the history of media-crazed presidential administrations. In Gibbs’ first four months on the job, the White House stenographer recorded more than 600 separate outbursts of “(laughter)” compared to a paltry 57 laughs during Dana Perino’s first four months as press secretary for the Bush administration.
Gibbs has even been criticized for being too jovial in the press room about somber matters. But rather than poking fun at such issues, Gibbs uses humor to deflect difficult questions in an often-obvious and certainly skilled, attempt to keep the media at arm’s length.
Behold the list of top five funniest moments in the Gibbs press room (video after the jump).
5. Gibbs responds to CNBC reporter Rick Santelli’s mortgage rant. “I’d be happy to buy him a cup of coffee. Decaf.”
4. Press corps laughs when Gibbs tries to explain Biden’s swine flu gaffe. “I’m telling you what he meant to say.”
3. Gibbs slams Cheney for criticisms. “I guess Rush Limbaugh was busy.”
2. Surprising everyone, including Gibbs, President Obama interrupts the daily briefing.
1. Gibbs confiscates a reporter’s phone after it rings twice in the briefing room.